Sunday, June 10, 2007

A Measure of Success.

It seems I have to work harder at writing a good real estate blog post, then I do a post about life. Most of the posts that come naturally to me are about feelings, observations, people, relationships, journeys and serendipitous occurrences.

I’ve been thinking about that quite a bit this morning .  Thinking about it while I mixed my blueberry muffin batter. Thinking about it as I gazed out the window beside my desk at the gently waving Sugar Maple leaves and clear soft blue sky. Thinking about it as I talked with people who called me about properties in my latest Real Estate Today ad . Thinking about it as I prepared my open house packages.

I write about life. Focusing strictly on a real estate article takes extra effort for me. It does not come naturally like writing about life does. But then I also find that the way I operate my business is that way.
It is not strictly a business, but moreso a feeling of being immersed in the lives of my clients for a temporary basis as I assist them in the transition they are making in their lives.


 To me it is more about finding a place with giant trees and a garden fence for the client who values her privacy and loves nature, finding a safe area and a decent house that is not too expensive for the young family I am working with who has just had their first child, being as gentle and as caring as possible with the person who has just lost their spouse of 40 odd years and now has decided to sell the old homestead that holds too many memories and is far too large .

Real estate, I realized after much thought, is life. We deal in lives. Dealing in real estate, the concrete aspect of it, may seem like the largest part of what we do. But is it really ?

The true measure of my success is not the home that I have just sold, or the perfect property I have just found for my clients. No. The true measure of my success is when I see a small tear escape the eye of someone I am working with because I have touched a deep part of them and have understood. The true measure of my success is when a client reaches out and hugs me at the end of our search for a home or when I have sold their home.

This is how I measure my success. It is how I have touched my clients lives and made the steps they take in their daily journey a little easier for them.

In recent years I have received more and more heart felt hugs from my clients. These are the motivation that keeps me knowing that being a Realtor® is what I am meant to do.

Jo